Speaking to MASCAVA: How to stay fit behind your desk
I had the privilege of speaking to the MASCAVA organization today about how to stay fit while working long hours behind the desk. I decided the best way to present this information would be to teach them how to be prepared and make the most of the what they already have access to.
PREP: RABBIT BAGS & WORKOUT KIT
Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure. ~ Confucius
Rabbit bags are pre-packed snack size baggies filled with your favorite snacks. We make sure our kids have snacks and we need the same. Pretzels, Chocolate Covered nuts/berries, trail mix, dried fruit. If you have a fridge, you can put carrots, cucumbers and other veggies.
Workout kit includes a note card of the week’s WOD, tennis/dog ball, band, 2lb db, rubber band
BODY MAINTENANCE: GOALS & WOD
"Intelligence and skill can only function at the peak of their capacity when the body is healthy and strong."~John F. Kennedy
1. Get up from floor or chair without using hands (keeps core strong)
2. Maintain or increase shoulder mobility and body flexibility (reducing chance of a hump back and/or kyphosis)
3. Add weight bearing exercises to ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists (prevents injury and falling)
4. Get heart rate up everyday (circulates oxygen & blood)
5. Get inverted everyday (circulates blood and other bodily fluids)
SAMPLE WOD 1x8 (beginner) 2x10 (advanced) 3x12 (athletic)
Sample exercise and sample stretches listed below
Monday: Desk or wall push-up/tricep dip (Open Cow Face)
Tuesday: Dumbbell tricep overhead press, Sit/Stand from chair punching with dumbbells (Tricep Stretch)
Wednesday: Wall Sit Bicep Curl, Shoulder Press(Hamstring Stretch)
Thursday: Calf Raises & Step-ups(Tree Pose)
Friday: Band Sumo Squat* & Dumbbell Chest Fly(Carpel Tunnel Stretch & Rubberband work)
* Easier- sit/stand instead of squat
Change up your walking routine by adding quick jogs, little hops, sprints, skips, lunges, weights; or even better walk a different route each day and add some hills. Change up the routine of walking up and down stairs by taking them two at a time or jogging up while walking down. Keep changing up your routines.